Last updated by Erik Kingissepp
Novatel's MiFi 500 4G LTE hotspot (model 5580) is a great way to stay connected while mobile. It has an uncomplicated onboard control panel, and using the MiFi's Web Interface you can easily view and edit a wide variety of additional settings.
To access the MiFi 500's web interface, simply:
- connect your computer to the MiFi 500's Wi-Fi network (this doesn't require an internet connection)
- open a browser window on your computer if your computer doesn't automatically launch a window with the MiFi 500 web interface
- enter http://sprinthotspot or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar
- log in using the default password "admin"
On the top right-hand corner of the home page, you'll see icons showing your network signal strength, whether or not you're roaming (if you're traveling internationally) and your battery life.
This information is displayed on the home screen of the MiFi 500
This page gives you information about devices currently connected to your MiFi 500 and also allows you to create or update a Blocked Devices list.
To view connected devices on the MiFi 500: Menu > Connected Devices
From the MiFi 500's Wi-Fi page of the Settings, you can:
- set the Wi-Fi name and password for your hotspot
- adjust the maximum number of Wi-Fi connected devices
- view and edit Advanced Settings
To view the Wi-Fi name and password on the MiFi 500: Menu > Wi-Fi
In the Preferences section of the Device settings, you can control display settings.
In the Web Interface section of the Device settings, you can update the password for the online interface.
The Software Update section of the Device settings allows you to update the MiFi 500's data profile and PRL (preferred roaming list).
To check for and apply software updates however, you need to access that on the device itself:
Menu > Software Update > Check Now > OK
Backup and Restore
In the Backup and Restore section of the Device settings, you can create a backup file for your MiFi 500, restore your device from that saved backup file and restore factory settings for things you have edited (i.e. Wi-Fi name and password, maximum number of users etc). Using this factory reset option will prompt your hotspot to go through the hands free activation process again.
Mobile Network Settings
From the Mobile Settings section of the Mobile Network tab in your MiFi 500's settings, you can:
- enable or disable data on your device
- select your preferred network type (LTE or 3G)
- enable or disable international data roaming and roaming guards (note: domestic data roaming is not offered)
To select network type on the MiFi500: Menu > Mobile Network > More - use arrow keys to scroll to your preferred network type and and use the OK button to select
Click on "Show Advanced Modem Configuration" in the Modem section of the Mobile Network tab in the settings to display two more reset options:
- Click the "Reset Modem" button to return your device entirely to factory defaults; your MSL will be required and this action will prompt a hands free activation.
- Click the "View/Edit Data Profile" button if you wish to edit you Data Profile information. This will require your MSL.
- Click the "Debug" button to view detailed diagnostic information about your device.