Last updated by Isabel M
UPDATED: NOVEMBER 10, 2014
If you're moving your phone number to an Android or Windows phone, you should disable iMessage beforehand so that it is no longer registered for iMessaging.
You'll know you need to disable iMessage if you're experiencing any of the following:
- you can't receive messages from friends with iPhones
- you can't send messages to people with non-Apple devices
- sms messages sent to your number are going to your old iPhone or other registered Apple device
To correct this you need to disable iMessage on your device.
If you no longer have your iOS device OR you've already transferred your number
Go to Apple's Dregister iMessage page and follow the steps in the "No longer have your iPhone" section.
If you still have your iOS device OR you haven't transferred your number yet
1. Make sure that Wifi or data is enabled on your phone. If the phone is not connected to the Internet, the change you're making won't sync with the iMessage registration system.
3. Do this on ALL of your iOS devices using this number for iMessaging. You can sign back into iMessaging on those devices with a new number or an email address.