Last updated by Allan B
1. What is an Airave?
The Airave is a device that uses your internet connection to improve your cellular signal. It's like having a mini cell tower of your own.
The Airave only works with devices that are on Ting on CDMA. Devices that run on our GSM network offering will not work with the Airave.
2. Why would I want an Airave?
If you live in an area that doesn't have great coverage or if the building you are in interferes with your cellular signal, the Airave can help with that.
3. Can I use an Airave anywhere?
Almost. Check here to see if there is Airave service in your area.
4. What else do I need in order to use an Airave?
You need to have a broadband internet connection with the following speeds:
You can check your internet speeds here.
5. How many devices can I connect to the Airave at once?
Airaves supported by Ting can have up to 5 devices connected at once.
6. How can I test that I'm connected to my Airave?
Calling *99 will prompt a message confirming that you are connected to an Airave. In addition, you will hear three short beeps before you make or receive any calls.
7. What kind of coverage can I expect from the Airave and can it be increased?
By default Airaves cover up to 5,000 square feet, depending on the building type, but if you want to increase that range, just contact us with your Airave's MAC ID and we’ll be happy to help you out.
8. Is there a monthly active line fee to have the Airave?
No, there is no monthly active line fee associated with the Airave.
9. Are phone calls made using the Airave free since it uses my internet connection?
No. Calls made using the Airave are billed just like any other call because you're still connecting to the cellular network. The Airave just improves your signal.
10. Where can I get an Airave?
You can purchase one from Ting, but if we're out of stock, you can bring your own Airave. Just make sure it meets all of the following criteria:
- Airvana brand
- version 2.0, 2.5 or 2.5+
- MAC ID begins with 0005B**
- must be inactive
**Make sure to contact us with your Airave's MAC ID, and not the AP ID, which is very similar. The AP ID also begins with 0005B but is much longer.
MAC ID: 0005Bxxxxxx2
AP ID: 0005B9-xxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx2