Skip navigation

Activating a CDMA BYOD Device by Swapping a Number

Last updated by Christian Robinette

So you checked out our handy compatibility checker and got your own very cool BYOD-eligible device to bring over to Ting. The following steps will show you how to add that device to your account and activate it by swapping a number from one of the other devices already on your Ting account.


1. Go to and click activate on the nav bar.

2. Click Sign in instead.



3. Sign into your Ting account.



4. Click on add another device and enter the ESN or MEID of the device you're bringing to Ting. Then click Check compatibility.


5. If prompted, enter your device's SIM card number or ICCID here and click Continue.



6. Choose use an existing Ting number, select the number you want to swap from the drop down, and click Next Step.



7. Confirm your billing information and click Continue.



8. Check all your details one more time, read and agree to the Terms of Service and then click continue.




Follow the steps on this page to complete your activation and get your device working on the network. You can also find your device on the Ting device guide for activation help.

If you moved from another CDMA device your number is now swapped and you can start using your phone right away once activated. We'll remind you of your billing cycle, but your billing cycle will be the same as it is for all your other devices and is set by the first device you activated.

Your old phone is now inactive with no number on it and you'll be able to find it in your Device settings with an Activate link next to it. You can reactivate that phone anytime you like.

If you've swapped your number from a GSM SIM card, your number will now need to be transferred over to our CDMA network. This will take 2-24 hours. Once your transfer completes you'll get an email from us to let you know. This email will include a link that directs you back to your final activation steps for your device.

For now, sit back and relax!


Back to top

Have more questions? Submit a request