Skip navigation

Porting a Number to an Active CDMA Device

Last updated by Christian Robinette

Maybe you decided to test drive Ting's services first, but now you're ready to take the plunge and you want to transfer a number from another carrier. The catch:  the phone you want to use that number on is already active with a temporary Ting number. That's cool. In most cases, you can port that number to your active CDMA device without deactivating your temporary number first, and you can do this right from your account by following the simple steps below.

If you want to do the same thing but you have a GSM device, you'll need to get a new GSM X1 SIM card and port your number to that new SIM. Then you can replace the SIM card in your device.


1. Log into your Ting account and click on Device settings from the sidebar on the left.


2. Click on the CDMA device you want to port your number to or the pencil icon under edit for the desired device.


3. Click the edit/pencil icon next to your phone number.

4. Click Begin number port. 

5. Fill in the billing information you have on file with your current carrier in the number transfer form and then click Done.


In some cases, you won't be able to port your number to your active device. If you get this error please get in touch so we can help

If there are no problems with porting your number, your number transfer will take 2-24 hours if it's a mobile phone number, and 5-7 days if it's a landline or VOIP number.

Once your port completes you'll get an email from us to let you know. This email will include a link to directions on how to get your device working. You can also find your device on the Ting device guide for activation help.

For now, sit back and relax!

Since your old number will still be active until the port completes there will be no indication in your Device Settings that a number is porting to that device (as there would be if you were porting to an inactive device). Once the port completes though, your ported number will show up as active on that device.


Back to top


Have more questions? Submit a request