Last updated by Christian Robinette
So you checked out our handy compatibility checker and got your own snazzy BYOD-eligible device to bring over to Ting but you want to keep using a number you’ve had for a while. The following steps will show you how to add that device to your Ting account and activate it by transferring your Ting number. If looking to transfer a or “port” a number from your current phone carrier please have a look at our Ting how to transfer or port a phone number guide.
If your number is currently active on a Ting GSM SIM this guide shows how to move a GSM Number and update the Device from your Ting Account. If you no longer have the SIM the number is on please get in touch with Ting support so we can help.
1. Go to ting.com and click Activate on the blue nav bar.
5. Choose your SIM card from the drop-down list. If you don't see it you'll have the option to select that in the drop down and enter it manually. Then click Continue.
6. Select "Bring a number you already have", enter the number you want to transfer and click Continue. If the number can be ported to Ting you'll proceed to the next page. If it can't, you'll get a message letting you know that here.
7. Fill in the account holder information that's on file with your current carrier in the fields that appear below. We help with the port out PIN or password requirements of different carriers in our Ting Carrier Porting Guide.
9. Check all your details one more time, take a look at the Terms of Service and agree to them and then click Continue.
10. Your number transfer will take 2-24 hours if it's a mobile phone number, and 5-7 days if it's a landline or VoIP number.
Once your port completes you'll get an email from us to let you know. If you have a device, install your SIM card in it once you receive this email. The email will include a link that will direct you back to your final activation steps for your device.
For now, sit back and relax!
If you have installed your GSM SIM card in a device, while your number is transferring, and when it first transfers, only your GSM SIM card will show up in your Active device list in your account Device settings.
In most cases within an hour of the transfer completing the GSM device you've installed the SIM card will show up on your active devices list. You can also refresh this from your account by clicking the refresh icon next to your device in your account device settings.
If the device name doesn't show up, you can always edit the device nickname instead.