Last updated by Isabel M
So you checked out our handy compatibility checker and got your own snazzy BYOD-eligible device to bring over to Ting but you want to keep using a number you’ve had for a while. The following steps will show you how to add that device to your Ting account and activate it by transferring or “porting” a number from your current phone carrier.
1. Go to ting.com and click Activate on the blue nav bar.
2. Sign into your Ting account online using your Ting, Amazon or Persona login information.
4. Enter the IMEI of the device you're bringing to Ting and click Check compatibility. You can also skip this step and go straight to your SIM card if you just want to activate a SIM card and deal with the device later.
5. Choose your SIM card from drop down list. If you don't see it you'll have the option to select that in the drop down and enter it manually. Then click Continue.
6. Select "Bring a number you already have", enter the number you want to transfer and click Continue. If the number can be ported to Ting you'll proceed to the next page. If it can't, you'll get a message letting you know that here.
7. Fill in the account holder information that's on file with your current carrier in the fields that appear below. For help with port out PIN or password requirements of different carriers, click here.
9. Check all your details one more time, take a look at the Terms of Service and agree to them and then click Continue.
10. Your number transfer will take 2-24 hours if it's a mobile phone number, and 5-7 days if it's a land line or VOIP number.
Once your port completes you'll get an email from us to let you know. If you have a device, install your SIM card in it once you receive this email. The email will include a link that will direct you back to your final activation steps for your device.
For now, sit back and relax!
If you have installed your GSM SIM card in a device, while your number is transfering, and when it first transfers, only your GSM SIM card will show up in your Active device list in your account Device settings.