Last updated by Isabel M
So you checked out our handy compatibility checker and got your own very cool BYOD-eligible device to bring over to Ting. The following steps will show you how to add that device to your account and activate it by swapping a number from one of the other devices already on your Ting account.
If you want to move your GSM number from one GSM device to another, you can either use the method in this article or simply move your SIM card from one device to another if it's the right size.
1. Go to ting.com and click Activate on the blue nav bar.
2. Sign into your Ting account online using your Ting, Amazon or Persona login information.
4. Enter the IMEI of the device you're bringing to Ting and click Check compatibility. You can also skip this step and go straight to your SIM card if you just want to activate a SIM card and deal with the device later.
5. Choose your SIM card from drop down list. If you don't see it you'll have the option to select that in the drop down and enter it manually. Then click Continue.
6. Choose Use an existing Ting number, select the number you want to swap from the drop-down and click Next step.
8. Check all your details one more time, read and agree to the Terms of Service and then click Continue.
9. Insert your SIM card into your Ting device now. Then follow the steps on this page to complete your activation and get your device working on the network.
If the steps don't work, click on the red No luck button to see more troubleshooting steps. If it does work click on the green It worked button.
10. If you've swapped from another GSM device/SIM card your number is now swapped and you can start using your phone right away.
We'll also remind you of your billing cycle. Your billing cycle will be the same as it is for all your other devices and is set by the first device you activated.
Your old phone or GSM SIM card is now dead and cannot be reactivated.
10b. If you've swapped your number from a CDMA device, your number will now need to be transferred over to our GSM network. This will take about 2 hours (24 hours at the very most).
Once the swap completes you'll get an email from us to let you know. Install your SIM card in your device once you receive this email. The email will include a link that will direct you back to your final activation steps for your device. Also your old CDMA device will become inactive. You'll be able to find it in your Device settings with an Activate link next to it. You'll be able to reactivate that phone anytime you like.
For now, sit back and relax!
If you have installed your GSM SIM card in a device, while your number is transfering from your CDMA device, and when it first transfers, only your GSM SIM card will show up in your Active device list in your account Device settings.