When you activate with Ting, all your APN settings are usually sent automatically. But if you're having issues with data, tethering, or mms and group messaging, you might want to check your APN settings to make sure that they're correct.
iOS APN settings
You can install the carrier bundle on an iPhone by going to Settings, tapping General, and selecting About. If the carrier is set to Ting, then you're all set to go!
If you don't see Ting listed as the carrier and an option for an update doesn't appear after a minute or two, make sure that your phone is running the latest iOS version by checking for software updates. Once your iOS is up-to-date, try restarting your phone and checking for the update again.
Android APN settings with the X3 SIM card
Although some of the menu options can vary from phone to phone, in general, you should be able to find your APN settings on your Android device using the following instructions. Our settings for the X3 and X1 SIM cards are slightly different, so make sure you've entered the right setting for your SIM card.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap More networks (under the Connections tab, or More, Wireless & networks, Wireless Controls, Wireless Manager, Phone Information).
- Select Mobile or Cellular networks.
- Choose Access Point Names.
- Select the APNs labeled Ting and check that the settings match what's in the table. If there are no Ting APNs, select Add or + to add any new or missing APNs with the following information.
Mobile Data settings for an X3 SIM card Name Ting Data APN wireless.dish.com MMSC http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc APN type* default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri,internet,dun MCC 310 MNC 240 APN protocol IPv4 / IPv6 APN roaming protocol IPv4 / IPv6
Tethering Settings for an X3 SIM card Name Ting Data APN tethering.dish.com MMSC http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc APN type* default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri,internet,dun MCC 310 MNC 240 APN protocol IPv4 / IPv6 APN roaming protocol IPv4 / IPv6
Note: If the APN type field is free-form, enter the above exactly as written without spaces. If there is a series of checkboxes, check only the boxes that correspond with the values listed above (Ex: If your device has checkboxes for default, mms, supl, wap, and ia, check only default, mms, and supl).
- Tap the Menu icon.
- If you're adding a new APN, tap Save.
- Select Ting Data as your APN.
- Restart your device.
APN settings using the X1 SIM card
If you're using an X1 SIM card, check that your APN settings match the following:
|APN settings for an X1 SIM card|
|APN protocol||IPv4 / IPv6|
|APN roaming protocol||IPv4 / IPv6|
What if data works but MMS doesn't?
If your data is working on your Android device using an X1 SIM, but your MMS and group messages are not, you can try creating a separate APN setting for just MMS.
- First, edit your existing APN to remove the MMSC field.
- Select Add or + to add a new APN with the following information.
MMS settings for an X1 SIM card Name Ting MMS APN wholesale MMSC http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc APN type mms MCC 310 MNC 260 APN protocol IPv4 APN roaming protocol IPv4
- Tap the Menu icon and Save.
- Keep Ting Data selected as your APN. Your phone will use the MMS APN settings automatically as it needs.
- Restart your device.
Feature phone APN settings using the X1 SIM card
To check the data on your feature phone, the settings are a little easier.
- Press the Menu button.
- Select Settings and then choose Connection.
- Pick Access points.
- Select the Ting APN and confirm that the settings match, or select New if you need to add an APN with the settings.
Feature phone settings for an X1 SIM Name Ting APN wholesale
- Choose Done or Save.
- Restart your device and wait for it to find the Ting network. This may take a minute or so.