Last updated by Isabel M
If you think you may need to return a device or have it replaced, then you'll want to read over the information below. For a slightly longer and more detailed version of the information in this article, check out our Terms of Service.
What is the warranty if I have a new Ting device?
New Ting devices have a warranty of 1 year from the purchase date.
What is the warranty if I have a refurbished Ting device?
Refurbished Ting devices have a warranty of 30 days from the purchase date.
What is the warranty if I have a Glyde device?
Glyde devices are not covered under Ting's warranties. Glyde's return guidelines can be found in their Transaction Policies.
What is the warranty if I have a BYOD device purchased from another third party?
Devices you purchased elsewhere that you brought to Ting are not covered under Ting's warranties.
What does Ting's warranty cover?
Our warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship. It does not cover:
- Defects arising from damage
- Normal wear-and-tear or aging
- Visible, accidental physical damage
- Liquid damage
- "Rooted" or "modded" devices
How does the warranty replacement process work?
If you need to have a device replaced due to a defect in materials or workmanship:
- Get in touch with us so we can start the replacement process for you.
- We'll ship your replacement right away so that you can transfer contacts and other data to the new device (if applicable).
- When your replacement ships out, we will preauthorize the credit card you have on file for the cost of the replacement, just in case the original device isn't returned.
- We'll also email you a prepaid shipping label so that you can return the defective device.
- You'll return this original device along with all components and accessories that were shipped with it including battery, charger, USB cable, SD card and manual (if applicable).
- It must be received back in our warehouse within 21 days of the replacement being shipped and you will get reminder e-mails from us.
- If the original isn't received within 21 days, we'll assume you wanted to keep both devices and we will charge you for the replacement and express shipping fees, if applicable.
- We'll check the condition of the returned device to confirm that it is still covered under warranty and that all components and accessories that were returned.
- If everything is in order, we'll let you know by email.
- If components are missing, we will charge a nonrefundable missing parts fee as outlined here.
- If the condition of the device isn't covered under warranty we'll let you know and you'll be billed for the replacement device.
What if I dropped my phone or otherwise accidentally damaged it?
Accidental damage is not covered under warranty.
Does Ting offer insurance?
No, that's not something we're doing at this point, but you can certainly purchase it through a third-party insurer. Please note that if you have your device replaced by a third party insurer, they may replace it with a device that you can't bring to Ting. If you're not sure, get in touch with us.
Should I just have my device replaced directly with the manufacturer?
If you've purchased your device from Ting directly, we don't recommend having your device replaced directly by the manufacturer. Much like replacements from insurance companies, it may be replaced with a device that you can't bring to Ting. We handle the manufacturer's warranty on your behalf so there shouldn't be any need to go to the manufacturer directly.
What if I don't like the phone that I purchased?
If you purchase a device from us that did not power up when it arrived, arrived damaged, or that is still in its unopened box, you can return it for a full refund within thirty days of purchase.
If Ting doesn't work out for you, you can also return a device that has been opened and gently used (but not damaged) within thirty days, so long as you've used fewer than 300 minutes, 300 text messages, and 300 megabytes of data.
Does requesting a warranty replacement mean I'll automatically get one?
No. Once you get in touch with us, we'll ask questions to determine if the reason for your return falls under what's covered in our warranty first. If it does, we'll start the replacement process. If not, we'll let you know at that time.
Can I still be charged for a replacement device once I've sent my original back?
Yes, but only if the returned device is found to have damage that isn't covered under warranty.
What if Ting finds that the damage to my device isn't covered under warranty after I've sent it back?
Devices are inspected to confirm that defects are not one the result of accidental damage, liquid damage, normal wear and tear, rooting, or modding. If any of these issues are found then your card will be billed for the replacement.
What if I want to have my device replaced by a different model?
If you'd prefer to purchase a different device than the one you're sending back under warranty, that's also an option. The new purchase and the return will be two separate transactions. The return process is the same as the replacement process except that once your returned device passes inspection you'll receive a refund.
If you want to keep the phone number that's on the phone you're returning and you don't have a spare device to move it to, you'll want to purchase your replacement phone before shipping back your original.