Last updated by Allan B
Now you can bring your GSM iPhone to Ting! To find out which iPhone devices you can use on the GSM network, SIM card information and more, read on.
Got a Sprint®-branded* iPhone? Head over here for details on bringing that device to Ting.
Need a GSM iPhone or SIM card? We can help with that!
1. Which GSM iPhones can I bring to Ting?
To check if your device qualifies, follow these three steps:
A. Check your model number, which you can find in small print on the back of your phone (the model will start with the letter A followed by 4 digits). Your model will need to be one of the following to work on Ting:
*Some iPhone 5 A1428 models may not be fully compatible with Ting on the GSM network. For more information click here. To be certain of what level of compatibility you'll get with your iPhone 5, model enter your IMEI in our checker.
B. Check which bands your phone supports.
C. Check your IMEI on our BYOD page. Simply enter your device's IMEI and we'll let you know on the spot if your iPhone can make the move to Ting, as well as what level of service you can expect to get.
3. What about other GSM models of the iPhone 5, 5c and 5s?
Not all GSM iPhone devices are created equal. The GSM models below won't get LTE data on our GSM network so if you're looking to purchase a GSM iPhone to bring over to Ting, pick up one of the models listed above.
Models A1457 and A1530
Models A1507 and A1529
There are CDMA versions of some of these models that will work just fine on our CDMA network. For more information on those models, click here.
4. I have an iPhone from Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile. Can I bring it to Ting?
Yes. Your iPhone can come to Ting as long as it’s one of the models above. You may need to confirm with your carrier first if it’s unlocked.
5. How do I know if there's an Apple Activation Lock on the iPhone I've purchased?
If you've purchased an iPhone directly from Ting or a standard retailer then there won't be an Activation Lock on your phone. However, if you've purchased from a private seller, you'll want to check this. For more information on checking if there's an Activation Lock on the phone you've purchased (or are planning to purchase), click here.
6. Is picture, video and group messaging supported for iOS devices on the GSM network?
Picture, video and group messaging (or mms messaging) will all work on iOS devices on the GSM network, however it will be limited in the following ways:
- Picture, video and group messaging cannot be enabled or disabled through the control panel.
- MMS or group messaging settings may not show up on your device and can't be updated or changed.
- Group MMS messages may be received as SMS messages.
- A group message sent to both Android and iOS devices will show up as an individual message for each recipient and responses will come back in separate message threads.
7. What about Wi-Fi calling and visual voicemail?
Wi-Fi calling and visual voicemail are not currently available on GSM iOS devices.
The option to enable Wi-Fi calling appears for all GSM devices in the Ting control panel, including ones for which Wi-Fi calling is not actually supported. Enabling this feature in your control panel will not enable Wi-Fi calling on your iOS device.
8. Will I be able to use my unlocked iPhone internationally?
Yes. Almost all GSM iPhones can be used internationally with a local carrier’s SIM card. The only exceptions are iPhones previous to the iPhone 4S from Verizon; Verizon iPhone, iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4 devices cannot be unlocked for international use.
If you purchased your device from another carrier, you'll need to make sure your previous carrier has unlocked your device so that you can use it with other SIM cards internationally. Once it's been unlocked, you'll want to back up and reset your device to get it up and running on Ting.
9. I did a jailbreak on my iPhone, can I still bring it to Ting?
A jailbroken iPhone may work on Ting, but we can't guarantee that. Of course, jailbreaking an iPhone, much like rooting an Android phone, voids its warranty and limits the support we can provide.
10. Do I need a special data plan for my iPhone and if so, what is the pricing?
Good news! Our data prices are the same for all devices used on Ting.