Last updated by Isabel M
This article is specifically about what the installation process looks like for a residential location, but the process for a business is very similar.
Before the Install
There's nothing specific that you need to do to prepare for a Ting Internet installation, but you do need to ensure that:
- An adult is at home when we arrive, and will be on hand for the two to three hours that the install will take
- The place you'd want the equipment installed has two free power outlets (one for the modem, one for the router)
It's also a good idea to know all the passwords for the devices that you will want to have set up on the wireless network.
I) Connecting to Your Residence
The most common installation that we do is one where the utility lines come in aerially--or above ground--from a telephone pole, so that's what this article will cover.
- We start by hanging a line from the street to your house, usually connecting on the second story.
- Next, we bring the wiring down the side of the house to the spot where we intend to make entry. In the majority of cases we're following the same lines as other utilities coming into your residence, so usually this doesn't mean adding a new batch of wiring to the side of your house.
- Then, we drill a hole into the house to bring the fiber optic cable through. That's generally the room where the equipment will be installed.
This is the longest part of the installation process, but apart from touching base with our team when they arrive, you can go and relax while we're doing this. Just make sure to be available for any questions that the team might have.
II) Setting Up the Modem and Router
Once we've brought the cable into your house we set up the modem and router. Getting this set up in your home generally takes a little under an hour.
- First, we work with you to find a spot for your residential gateway and get it set up. Most customers opt for a table-top setup, but the unit can be wall-mounted as well.
- Next, we splice a connector onto the raw fiber optic cable that we've brought into your home. (This part is pretty cool and we urge you to watch it happen!)
- Next, we plug the connector into the back of the modem and turn it on.
- Then, we run a speedtest to make sure that everything is working properly.
- Then we hook up the router to the fiber modem and configure the wireless network and password.
- Lastly, we help you get your devices connected to the network.