Keeping track of your usage can be a useful tool to help manage your bill, or make sure that you have enough high speed data to last until the end of your billing. There are two different approaches depending on the Ting plan that you have.
Setting up a data alert on your phone
If you're set up on one of our new Ting plans, then you already enjoy unlimited talk and text. Your phone can offer some of the best ways to limit and monitor your data use. It allows you to set alerts and limit which apps can use data and which can only use wi-fi. If you use iOS or Android, you can manage your data all within the phone settings.
Setting usage alerts on pay-per-use accounts
When you activated your first device, we automatically set a couple of alerts to help you track your usage. We'll send you an email at the address you have on file with us when you hit 950 minutes and 950 megabytes for the whole account, just to give you a heads up.
Data caps for V1 SIM cards
If you are using our V1 SIM card, setting up a cap to disable data after using a certain amount of MB will not work. Data can only be disabled on your device for V1 SIM cards. Alerts will still function normally on a pay-per-use account.
You can edit all the alerts and caps under your usage alert tab and re-enable your features in your device settings tab at any time.
To set up an alert or cap, all you will need to do is follow the steps below.
- Click Add an alert at the top right of your usage alert page.
- Select My account or a specific line on your account from the drop-down menu. The selected line or your entire account will be affected when the cap or alert is triggered.
- Choose the level of usage and type of useage like megabytes (data), messages, or minutes to trigger the alert.
Note: When setting the usage level of an alert or cap, you want to allow for some wiggle room since our system isn't calculated in real-time. Alerts and hard caps for minutes or megabytes don't go into effect until you've finished the call or internet session you're on.
- Choose the action that you'd like to trigger. For an alert, select how you would like to be notified and input the email or phone number where you would like to receive the alert. If this is a cap, select Disable.
When creating a cap, select the service you want disabled when your account or line hits the usage level and choose when you would like it to re-enable. You can choose if you want to have the service shut off until you choose to re-enable it under your device settings tab, or have it reset on its own when your billing cycle restarts.
- If you want the same level of usage to trigger more than one alert or cap, click +Add another "Do this to" and add your additional actions. Select Save when your alert is set up to your liking.
Turning your features back on
You can re-enable your services at any time, even if you've set a service to be disabled until the end of your billing cycle. If you've disabled a service across the whole account, you'll need to re-enable it for each device individually.
To re-enable a feature, go to your Device settings tab and select the line being affected by clicking on the nickname or the blue pencil under edit.
You will then see the list of your services. Click on the blue pencil above minutes, messaging, or megabytes, and you can toggle the disabled service back on and click Save.
Note: Your Ting dashboard isn't kept in real-time. Usage information can take up to 48 hours to be updated. This has been seen with data and voice/text when roaming.