Last updated by Paraic O
Are you having trouble finding the right phone/device to suit your needs? Ting is here to help. The personal shopper program allows you to put in some of your wants and needs and from there we match you with the phone of your dreams! Not convinced? Take a look at our frequently asked questions.
1. What is the Ting personal shopper program?
The personal shopper program offers you a more cost-effective alternative to buying a new or refurbished phone directly from Ting. We search Glyde, eBay, Swappa and Amazon for used, inactive devices that are compatible with our GSM network. Check out the personal shopper program page so you can get started.
2. How quickly do personal shoppers find phones?
Our personal shoppers will try to provide at least three recommendations from our partner sellers within two business days. If you need a recommendation sooner, please call 1-855-846-4389 or chat with one of our agents online.
3. What types of phone options will I receive?
As long as it is supported by our GSM network provider, or it is an unlocked GSM device, we will look for whatever style of phone you are interested in. This ranges from smart-phones, feature phones, tablets, hot-spots, qwerty slides and beyond.
4. Will the phone I purchase come with a SIM card?
Only devices purchased directly through Ting will come with a Ting SIM card. We will send a Ting SIM card free of charge only when purchasing a suggested item a personal shopper has recommended. A screenshot of your order will be required in order to have the free SIM card sent out.
5. Does the personal shopper only recommend GSM phones?
Due to the Sprint Financial Eligibility Dates Policy, we currently only provide GSM options to you, to avoid purchasing a flagged incompatible device.
6. What are GSM and CDMA?
In the U.S. CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) and GSM (Global Systems for Mobiles) are shorthand for the two major radio systems used in cell phones. CDMA carriers use network-based white lists to verify their subscribers, while GSM carriers put the customer's information on a removable SIM card.
7. Will I need to set up an account with Glyde, eBay, Swappa or Amazon to buy a phone?
Yes. They are separate companies, so you cannot use your Ting account billing information to make purchases with these sellers.
8. The listing mentions that the phone has an IMEI number?
IMEI stands for International Mobile Station Equipment Identity and is a unique identifier for a mobile device.
9. Does it matter if I buy a device with a "bad IMEI"?
Yes. A device with a bad IMEI cannot be added to your Ting account because it has been flagged by the previous carrier for a specific reason. It could be a lost or stolen device or a device on an account with an unpaid balance. Our personal shoppers will only recommend devices with a "clean IMEI".
10. How do I know if a phone has a clean or bad IMEI?
The listings might mention the status of the phone's IMEI. If not, ask the seller and check the IMEI number BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) checker. We will tell you if the phone will work with Ting or not.
11. Does it matter if I buy a device that is "rooted", "flashed", or "jailbroken"?
Yes. These terms mean that the original owner or seller has changed fundamental aspects of the way the device works and more often than not, we cannot activate or troubleshoot devices that have been modified. Ting does not support devices that are running unauthorized operating systems or software, and our personal shoppers will only recommend devices that have the original manufacturer's settings.
12. Can I return the device if I don't like it?
13. What if the personal shoppers can't find the device I am looking for?
This means it is probably not supported. We will only recommend phones that are GSM compatible, but we will always try our best to find something that works for you.
14. Will the device definitely work on Ting?
We hope so! Our personal shoppers assume that the device will function as advertised by the seller in the phone's listing. We cannot guarantee 100% that the phone will work because it doesn't come from Ting.
15. I don't want to buy a phone from a third party seller. Can I get a used phone from Ting?
Absolutely! We offer refurbished used phones on our shop page. All refurbished phones we sell are tested before we ship them to you and we offer a 30 day warranty period with each refurbished phone.
16. Are the devices you recommend from Glyde, Swappa, eBay, and Amazon "refurbished"?
Unless the seller specifically mentions that the device has been refurbished, then it is more than likely just passing hands from one owner to another.
17. I only want to buy new phones. Can you find me a new phone?
18. How long will I have to wait for the device to arrive?
This depends on the distance between the shipping location, the seller and your location. It is always recommended that you check with the seller beforehand. The seller might offer express shipping options.
19. What if I don't like the options the personal shopper finds for me?
Your requirements might change over time, so let our personal shoppers know if you are not happy with the recommendations. In turn, you can also let the personal shoppers know of your specification updates, and they can keep searching for you.