Are you interested in transferring your current phone number to Ting but don't know where to start? This article will walk you through moving the number from your old inferior carrier to Ting! We'll also answer some of your frequently asked questions about moving a number and help you update your transfer request.
How to transfer your phone number
You will need to have some information from the current carrier that has your number. You will need:
- Phone number you want to move
- Account number
- Port out pin/password
- Billing information
Some carriers do not have port-out pins or passwords. We can help you find the right details most of the time - check out our carrier porting information help article.
Wireless phone numbers can take anywhere up to 24 hours, but in our experience, they make their way over to us a lot faster. Landlines, Google voice or other VoIP numbers can take five to seven days.
Start your transfer
- Go to Ting.com and click Activate.
- Sign in to your Ting account by entering your email and password and clicking Sign in, or select Create one to begin creating your new Ting account if needed.
- Choose the device that you want to activate by clicking Select. If your device doesn't appear here, choose the bring your own device option and enter your IMEI.
- If prompted, enter your SIM card number (ICCID) found on the back of the card the SIM came with, or on the SIM itself and choose Continue.
- Click on Select under Bring a number you already have and enter the number you want to transfer. Click Continue. If the number can be ported to Ting you'll proceed to the next page; if it is not eligible, you'll get a message letting you know.
- Fill in the account information you have on file with your other carrier in the number transfer form and then click Done.
- Once you have successfully completed the form above with the required info, we will let you know that your number transfer is in progress.
How to update your transfer request
If you receive an e-mail from Ting saying there was a problem moving your number, the email will give you one of two options:
- You'll be instructed to get in touch with our support team so we can help you with your port update.
- You'll receive directions on what needs to be modified in your port request along with a link that will take you to the Device settings page in your Ting account online. The CDMA phone or Ting SIM card that the number is being ported to will have a Requires update link next to it. Click it to update your port request. If you don't see any devices with this option, there should be a banner at the top of the page that you can click to get to the update form.
- On your number transfer form, look for the text in red at the top that tells you what needs to be updated, and enter the correct information.
- When you've completed the form, click Done.
Note: If you're missing port information and it's not readily available in your account, you'll need to call your carrier's customer service line to get that information. Ting does not have access to that information and we are not able to get it from your carrier on your behalf for security reasons.
Frequently asked questions
1. Can I move my phone number over to Ting?
Most phone numbers can move over to us. You can check your phone number before starting the process.
2. Will my phone work with your service?
Most newer phones are compatible with Ting. Check if your phone is one of them.
3. Do I need a new SIM card?
In most instances, the answer is yes. You can find what type of SIM card you need after confirming your phone is compatible. We will also link you to our shop page to pick up a SIM on the results page when you check your phone (shown below).
4. How long does it take to move the number over?
Moving a wireless mobile number to Ting can take up to 24 hours. Landlines, Google voice, and VoIP numbers can take five to seven days.
5. Can I cancel my number before I move the number to Ting?
No, in order to transfer your phone number to Ting, your service/number must be active.