At this point, we’re all used to walking around with supercomputers in our pockets and zettabytes of information at our fingertips.
If you’re with a pay for what you use provider like Ting, it pays to understand and keep an eye on your data usage. With Ting, you can monitor your data use and even set alerts and caps so you never have to worry about going over whatever threshold you decide.
Here are the basics: The things you need to know to quantify what 1 GB actually is in real-world terms.
What’s in a GB?
What can you do with 1 GB?
Video uses more data than audio which uses more data than still images which uses more data than text. It’s a bit difficult to package up but broad strokes, here’s about what a gig gets you:
- 1 hour of Netflix at high resolution OR
- 5 hours of video chat OR
- 24 hours of streaming music at 96 Kbps OR
- >400 mixed media web pages OR
- 10 hours* of Facebook OR
- 300 photos uploaded to social media OR
- 10 hours of playing Fortnite OR
- 7 hours of playing Overwatch