When you send a text message to multiple recipients, most smartphones send it as one rather than several individual messages. If you want to send it as one group message, it has to be converted to a multimedia or MMS message, even though there is no picture or video attachment. Some phones make this very obvious by actually telling you it's converting the message to MMS as soon as it detects that there are multiple recipients.
When you send group messages as MMS, it keeps the replies in one thread on your phone. It also doesn't count towards your text messaging usage, so you won't see those messages reflected in the text messaging detail on your monthly bill.
Note: MMS and group messages use cellular data, and you must enable data to send and receive these messages.
Settings on your account
To send a group text as one message, you'll first need to ensure that you have data enabled on your account and disable Block picture, video, and group messages.
- Log into your Ting dashboard.
- Click Device settings on the right-hand control panel menu.
- Select the phone number that you want to check the settings for.
- Scroll to the bottom of the settings and under Data, check your settings. If you need to change them, click the blue edit pencil.
Note: If you're active on a V1 SIM card and don't see the option to turn on data and MMS, don't worry! It's already on for you.
- In the pop-up, slide the toggle to enable Can use data and disable Block picture, video, and group messages.
- Click Save.
Settings on your phone
Once you've got data and MMS messaging enabled on your account, you'll want to ensure that the group MMS option in your phone's messaging app is enabled. If you have an iPhone or iOS device, make sure you've turned on MMS messaging in Settings, under Messages. For Android phones:
- Go to the main screen of your messaging app and tap the menu icon or menu key (on the bottom of the phone).
- Tap Settings.
Note: If Group Messaging isn't in this first menu, it may be in the SMS or MMS menus.
- Under Group Messaging, enable MMS.
If you're still having problems, please get in touch, and we're happy to help further.