A friend just recently show me the Platinum Tel, they’re moving from Verizon MVNO to T-Mobile space.
They allow BYOD for unlocked GSM phone or locked T mobile devices.
While they have $40 and $50 unlimited plan, what caught my attention is their ‘Real PAY Go ‘ plan
Talk : 5c / min
Text: 2c/ min
Data: 10c/ MB
For a Family with 3-4 phones, Ting will still be more efficient (read: cheaper), for an individual user like me that didn’t use much minutes or data – since I have home and office Wi-Fi overage almost all the time, their plan is giving a better option
As a comparison , I use less than 50 minutes, less than 50 text and about 150 MB a month
Google Voice and GV lite for my phone when there is Wi-Fi.
Platinum Tel will have the upper hand (for me at least)
- No new device to buy, I can use my latest Tmobile out of contract phone.
- They hit the sweet spot by charging the actual minutes/data without any bracket, this will not work for everyone, but it fit my need better than Ting plan.
I can buy $100 prepaid for 12 months and use it as needed.
- No monthly device maintenance cost, if we did not use the services.
- No tax, for S plan in Ting the tax can hit about 15% (I’m in CA )
- 4G data (T-Mo HSDPA)
- I Phone will work – some city T- mo already convert the 3G/4G that work with IPhone.
- Customer Service and support still can’t be beat .
- Ability to control internet usage and text for each device from the Account dashboard. Work best for Parent with teenager :)
- Sharing minutes/text/data in 1 account for multiple devices
- For multiple phone in a single account, Ting is cheaper.
- If you already have Sprint devices for BYOSD.