Keith made a great point here and I also ran into this yesterday where our customer didn't have access to their email or their phone since it was stolen so a callback was out of the question. She was at a Verizon store looking to move her number to a new phone. She asked if there was another way of being verified like security questions. Seems like this would be a fantastic third option for customers.
Here's Keith's original post from 3 years ago. Might be something we need to revisit as a priority.
Adding "Security Questions" as Verification Method on ting.com
Currently, we only have the option to authenticate a caller by using (1) PIN verification over email or (2) callback verification via primary contact number on file. These options do not suit all customers and require a lot of work. It's a very poor customer experience when we have to disconnect a call to call them back for verification purposes. Furthermore, not all customers have access to email when they're calling.
It would be fantastic if we added a "How do you wish to be verified when you contact Ting?" to the account settings page. Here customers have the option of choosing "answer three security questions when you call or chat with Ting". Questions may include:
- What is the first and last name of your first boyfriend or girlfriend?
- Which phone number do you remember most from your childhood?
- What was your favorite place to visit as a child?
- Who is your favorite actor, musician, or artist?
- What is the name of your favorite pet?
- In what city were you born?
- What high school did you attend?
- What is the name of your first school?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your mother's maiden name?
- What street did you grow up on?
- What was the make of your first car?
- When is your anniversary?
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your father's middle name?
- What is the name of your first grade teacher?
- What was your high school mascot?
- Which is your favorite web browser?